≡ Menu

sace registration

SACE stands for South African Council for Educators and is the professional council for educators, that aims to enhance the status of the teaching profession through appropriate Registration, management of Professional Development and inculcation of a Code of Ethics for all educators.

Section 21 of the South African Council for Educators Act, 2000 requires that

  1. every educator contemplated by the Act must register with the Council before appointment to a teaching post, and
  2. no person may be employed as an educator by an employer unless that person is registered with the Council.

How To Register as an educator Guide


SACE: How To Register as an educator Guide

Are you a qualified teacher and want to teach in South Africa? You must register with the South African Council for Educators (SACE).

Section 21 of the South African Council for Educators Act, 2000 requires that:

  • every educator contemplated by the Act must register with the Council before appointment to a teaching post; and
  • no person may be employed as an educator by an employer unless that person is registered with the Council.

If you have foreign qualifications, they must be evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) before you register with SACE.

In addition, kindly note that SAQA does not evaluate qualifications for the purpose of employment in specific work areas. In particular, to be employed as teacher in South Africa, the qualifications and academic transcripts have to be submitted to the Department of Basic Education (Section: Educator Qualifications and Programmes) where the qualifications will be evaluated for employment in education. The applicant will be informed in writing of the outcome. Your qualification must be recognised for employment in education before you register with SACE.

If your application is successful, SACE will register and issue you with a registration certificate.

What you should do

Complete the application form and submit it to SACE with the following documents:

  • certified copies of your professional diploma(s) and/or degree certificate(s)
  • certified copy of your identity document
  • registration fee

SACE registration page 2


SACE registration page 2

Non-South African citizens must include the following:

  • an evaluation report from SAQA
  • an evaluation report for employment in education from the Department of Basic Education:Educator Qualifications and Programmes section.
  • a work permit stating that they are permitted to teach in South Africa
  • proof of permanent residence and non-South African identity document
  • proof of employment or pending employment by a school in South Africa.

Who must register with SACE?

A: Educators employed at:

  • Public schools. These are educators employed in terms of the Employment of Educators Act of 1998 and the South African Schools Act of 1996)
  • Recognised independent schools,
  • Further Education and Training Institutions (employed in terms of the FET Act of 1998),
  • Adult learning centers (ABET).
  • Waldorf and Montessori centers
  • ECD educators with a minimum NQF level 4 ECD qualifications employed in public and independent schools in Grade R.
  • Foreign educators as per Council Resolution of 2008.

SACE Letter of Good Ethical and Professional Standing

A. A letter from the licensing body or education ministry that says your right to teach has never been suspended, revoked or cancelled.

The Statement of Professional Standing provides us with information regarding your past professional practice as a teacher. For example, it tells us whether your authorization to teach has ever been taken away for disciplinary reasons or whether you would still be welcome to teach in that country, province or state. If educator was previously not an educator in their country of origin, then a testimonial from the last Higher Education institution attended is required.

The statement must:

  • Verify that you were authorized to teach in that jurisdiction
  • State that your authorization was never suspended, cancelled or revoked
  • Come from the licensing authority or department of education
  • Be an original and signed by the appropriate official
  • Not be more than one year old when we receive it

Contact numbers are as follows:

Tel no:  086 100 SACE [7223] OR (012) 663 9517
Fax no:  (012) 663 9238

E-mail: info@sace.org.za

Postal address: Private Bag X127, Centurion, 0046

Physical address: 240 Lenchen Avenue, Centurion, 0046

We invite all educators to visit our website at: www.sace.org.za 

Contact details for evaluation of foreign qualifications:
National department of Education (DoE), telephone (+27 12 357 3000)
or South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA), telephone (+27 12 431 5000)


How to apply for SASSA grant

Proof of identity

• Applicants who do not have a 13 digit bar coded Identity Book, or birth certificate for children involved in the
application can still apply for a grant.
Please obtain information from your nearest SASSA office on the alternative documents which are accepted for grant
applications. Refugees can provide the Section 24 permit as proof of refugee status and identity.

Where Do You Apply For A Grant?

• You apply at the SASSA Offce nearest to where you live;
• If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply for a grant, then a family member or friend can apply on your behalf; with letter from you as applicant authorizing the application;
• Alternatively you may call the SASSA offce to request a home visit;
• Your application form will be completed in the presence of an officer from SASSA;
• When your application is completed you will be given a receipt;
• Keep this receipt – it is your only proof of application;

• You do not have to pay any money to apply;
• If your application is not approved by SASSA, you must be informed in writing as to why your application was
• You have the right to request SASSA to reconsider its decision, if you are unhappy with the decision made.
If the reconsidered decision is still unfavourable, you have the right to appeal to the Minister of Social Development. The request for SASSA to reconsider its decision must be made within 90 days of you being informed of the outcome of your application.

Date Of Award Of Grants

If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the date on which you applied, unless you have applied for a foster child grant. Foster child grants are paid from the date of court placement.


Sassa payment dates and details

Social grants are usually paid from the first of every month  whether or not the day falls over a weekend or public holiday. SASSA will pay beneficiaries who use banks, ATM’s and merchant outlets from the 01 January despite the day falling on a public holiday. As usual, this applies to any other public holiday falling on a the first day of the month. The days are:




Methods Of Payment (Where can I withdraw SASSA money?)

Once your grant is approved, you will be issued with a SASSA payment card. This card is used to access your grant money. If you wish to use alternative methods of payment such as
• All Banks including Postbank, or
• Institutions, you must contact your nearest SASSA offce
Please note that the SASSA card is the only offcial social grant payment card
Note: If you are unable to collect the grant yourself you may nominate a procurator to collect it on your behalf.

How to apply for SASSA grant


SASSA GRANTS: All you need to know

SASSA is the South Africa Social Security Agency. Sassa’s role is to administer social grants to categories of people who are “vulnerable to poverty and in need of state support” in order to improve these people’s standard of living.

Social Assistance is an income transfer in the form of grants provided by government. A social grant refers to grants paid by the South African Social Security Agency that is: disability grant; grant for older persons and war veteran’s grant; foster child grant; care dependency grant; child support grant and grant-in-aid.

Sassa payment dates and details


Download ccma forms

If you are an employee in dispute with your employer, or vice versa, over a matter such as-

  • dismissal,
  • wages and working conditions
  • workplace changes, or
  • discrimination

You may want to ask the CCMA to conciliate or even arbitrate your dispute. A union or employer’s organisation may also initiate this action. You do not need the other party’s consent before taking a matter to the CCMA. 

Note: The following disputes cannot be referred to the CCMA

  • where an independent contractor is involved,
  • where the case does not deal with an issue in the LRA or Employment Equity Act (EEA). (Basic Conditions of Employment Act  (BCEA) issues may be linked to unfair dismissal disputes and unfair retrenchment  disputes at the CCMA), 
  • where a bargaining council or statutory council exists for that sector,
  • where a private agreement exists for resolving disputes (for example: private arbitration)

Steps for disputes at the CCMA

Step 1: If you have a labour problem, it is very important that you take steps immediately. In the case of an unfair dismissal dispute, you have only 30 days from the date on which the dispute arose to open a case, if the case is an unfair labour practice, you have only 90 days and, with discrimination cases, you have six months.

Step 2: If you have decided to lodge a dispute, you need to complete a CCMA case referral form (also known as  LRA Form 7.11.). These forms are available from the CCMA offices, Department of Labour and the CCMA website. (http://www.ccma.org.za).

Step 3: Once you have completed the form, you need to ensure that a copy is delivered to the other party and you must be able to prove that a copy was sent. Acceptable methods include faxing a copy (keep the fax transmission slip), sending it by registered mail (keep the postal receipt), send it by courier (keep proof) or deliver in person (ask the person receiving it to sign for it).

Step 4: You do not have to bring the referral form to the CCMA in person. You may also fax the form or post it. Make sure that a copy of the proof that the form had been served on the other party is also enclosed.

Step 5: The CCMA will inform both parties as to the date, time and venue of the first hearing.

Step 6: Usually the first meeting is called conciliation. Only the parties, trade union or employers’ organisation representatives (if a party to the dispute is a member) and the CCMA commissioner will attend. The purpose of the hearing is to reach an agreement acceptable to both parties. Legal representation is not allowed.

Step 7: If no agreement is reached, the commissioner will issue a certificate to that effect. Depending on the nature of the dispute, the case may be referred to the CCMA for arbitration or the Labour Court as the next step.

Step 8: In order to have an arbitration hearing, you have to complete a request for arbitration form, (also known as LRA Form 7.13.). A copy must be served on the other party (same as in step 3). Arbitration should be applied for within three months from the date on which the commissioner issued the certificate.

Step 9: Arbitration is a more formal process and evidence, including witnesses and documents, may be necessary to prove your case. Parties may cross-examine each other. Legal representation may be allowed. The commissioner will make a final and binding decision, called an arbitration award, within 14 days.

Step 10: If a party does not comply with the arbitration award, it may be made an order of the Labour Court.


Download forms here


What is the CCMA?

The CCMA stands for the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration. The CCMA is a body set up to assist employers and employees resolve disputes which arise in the workplace. The rules of the CCMA are governed by the Labour Relations Act which clearly states that;

“Every employee has the right not to be unfairly dismissed and subjected to unfair labour practice.”

Who can refer a dispute?

If you are an employee having a dispute with your employer, or vice versa, you can refer the dispute to the CCMA.

It is generally easy to determine who the employer is, however it can be challenging to determine whether a person is considered an employee.

The Labour Relations Act includes a provision detailing who is presumed to be an employee and states that if any one or more of the following conditions exist, the person is considered to be an employee;

  1. The manner which the person works is subject to the control or direction of another person;
  2. The persons hours of work are subject to the control or direction of another person;
  3. If the person works for an organisation and the person is considered to form part of that organisation;
  4. The person worked for the other person for an average of 40 hours per month over the last 3 months;
  5. The person is economically dependent on the other person;
  6. The person is provided with the tools of trade or work equipment by the other person; or
  7. The person only works or renders services to one person.

What types of disputes can be referred to the CCMA:

Any employer / employee may refer a dispute to the CCMA for any one or more of the following types of disputes;

  • The employee has been dismissed and the dismissal is deemed unfair;
  • Any unfair labour practice including inter alia, promotion, demotion, unfair suspension etc; or
  • Either party feels they have been discriminated against.

Download ccma forms